Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Love the Elderly!

I love the elderly! This is my grandmother.


And this is my grandfather.

I love visiting the assisted living home every other Friday! I just have so much fun. This week when I visited my grandfather got up from his favorite chair and went to get his desk chair on wheels so he could sit across from me, facing me. I asked what he was doing and grandma piped up from the seat next to me, "Oh he is just going to sit on His Throne." I burst out laughing and giggling! It was so cute! For some reason when we get older, we are no longer afraid to say what we really feel and think. It's like the innocence of childhood all over again. My grandma is stubborn and doesn't like people to tell her what to do...like her exercises! But she is a blessing to me. We have a lot of fun just sitting together and enjoying the moments and reminscing about days gone by! My grandpa now says, "I don't tell people how old I am. I just tell them that together grandma and I are 185 years old!!" And the other amazing part is they have been married for 69 years!!!! Wow! You know, if my grandfather had a high school class reunion he would be celebrating 75 years this summer! How many people do you know who can say that!?
Today, I drove back to Alma (for the third day in a row) and surprised my grandpa. He didn't know I was coming but he had mentioned on Friday that he was singing in church on Sunday! When I snuck up in the pew and asked if the seat next to him was taken, he didn't quite know what to say. He was so happy for the support and to know that I cared enough to come! And oh, it was beautiful! He sang, "What a Wonderful World" and "His Eye is on the Sparrow." I think the real surpise (and blessing) came to me! I truly drove away knowing I was so incredibly blessed!

1 comment:

  1. ohhhhh I love that surprise!! And you will never ever regret the time you spent with your "elderlies" :-)

    ReplyDelete